The Lighthouse in Grímsey – Vitinn

This is one of the notable buildings in Grímsey, built in year 1937. It is located on the south-east corner of the island. In the beginning it was run manually with a gas lamp which had to be turned on and off manually. Now days the lighthouse is automatic and plays an important role to the boat traffic in the surrounding waters.  The lighthouse is closed to the public but offers a good viewing point to the cliffs at the east cost of the island as well as being a popular photo object.